My recent experiences with heels have not been good ones. I wear them only for formal occasions and after the first ten minutes, I'm limping and dragging my feet, wishing I had worn flats instead. Ideally, a pretty pair by French Sole.
Founded 22 years ago by British shoe designer, Jane Winkworth, French Sole specializes in making and selling only ballerina style shoes. These shoe gems are manufactured in Spain, making use of the best Italian and Spanish materials. Jane's designs are cute, functional and most importantly, comfortable. They cater for half sizes as well as special sizes for broader or narrower feet. Super, is there anything more we could ask for? Oh yes, French Soles are affordable too.
1. Simple in metallic. I like the graphite colour of this shoe, it's versatile and will match well with anything. It has a chocolate coloured trim. $87 or R600.
2. Sturdy in black and white. This classic quilted pair is reminiscent of Chanel's two-tone flats. An elegant addition to any outfit. $92 or R632.90
3. Annie in red and black. This tweed pair is my favourite, with it's houndstooth fabric, simple style with a punk rock edge. Also available in black & white and burgundy & olive. $131 or R904.
4. Simple in lime. This unique piece is a vibrant mix of lime green with black and brown leopard print and hot pink edging. Adorable and eye catching. This style is also available in bright blue and red. $90 or R621.
5. Harriet in red. These quilted flats add a red spark to a neutral coloured outfit. It has a beige trim, and will look great with denims. Available in many colours, including navy, lime, beige, grey and black. $108 or R745
6. Camilla in silver. A favourite of Kate Moss, this swanky pair features a metallic silver tip, black leather bow and is covered in black and white lace. I'm already throwing out my silver stilettos for a pair of these. $131 or R904.
7. Paris Wedge in baby blue and black. Slip into a pair of these chic French inspired shoes. It has a patent leather tip and quilted frame. It also comes in black and beige and black and lilac. $169 or R1166.
8. Henrietta in zebra print. Black and white zebra print was a trend seen on SA's catwalks earlier this year. The pink trim adds a little something extra. $101 or R697.
9. Mariposa in black. Elegant ballet flats that be worn up or down. It comes in black or nude patent leather, with a decorative girly bow. $159 or R1097.
Vogue named French Sole shoes as 'the prettiest ballet flats around', while Glamour magazine voted them 'The Best Ballet Flats'. With dozens of colours, finishes and styles to chose from, it's so easy to fall head over heels for French Sole shoes. Buy them at www.frenchsole.com