Monday, May 13, 2013

The Savvy Girls Guide to Vintage Style

I have always admired vintage style, but knew little about it achieving it. That's when I decided to get some expert advice in the form of a dear blog friend and vintage virtuoso, Nicole Danielle Warr.




Nicole is the creator of South Africa's first ever online vintage magazine, Vintage Lifestyle, which highlights everything from fashion to decor, travel, literature, music, art and design. 
This dynamic 22-year-old has a passion for all things vintage, as well as fashion and drinking lots of tea. Nicole's magazine attains a perfect balance, featuring good quality, affordable labels and also luxury vintage inspired brands. This virtual publication looks at how vintage elements enhance our modern lifestyles - the old with the new - all culminating in a unique look and experience. Amidst running a successful magazine, compiling articles & styling and organizing exquisite photo shoots, Nicole also impressively finds time in between to run her own blog, Diamonds & Dust. And to guest post for Frills & Thrills. Take it away Nicole....


Nicole's Essential Vintage Items



The High-Waisted Skirt

High-waisted skirts look best with a well-fitted blouse or a jersey and a statement waist belt. Popular vintage colours at the moment are ivory white, mint green, dusty pink and maroon. Good news is that they work well for the fuller figure too, and if worn in a darker shade, such as black or navy blue, it will compliment the shape in more ways than one.

The 50's Style Dress

Floral print never seems to go out of fashion. One could put together images of people wearing floral from every decade. For the vintage look however, it has to be the 50's style floral dress. Conservative top, a cinched waist and a wide knee-length skirt (the bigger the skirt, the better!). Remember when wearing floral not to overdo it. My advice would be to wear one floral item at a time and to refrain from mixing florals with other patterns such as stripes and polka dots. It’s best to pair your dress with a cardigan for those chilly evenings out.




The LBD or “Little Black Dress”

This is yy absolute favourite item of clothing. The origins of this dress date back to 1920's designs of Coco Chanel. I’m sure you all know by now that a LBD is an essential to have. If you’re standing in front of your cupboard one day and you have absolutely no clue as of what to wear, take out your LBD, put on some heels and you’re good to go. What’s also great about wearing a plain black dress is that you have the option of accessorizing however you like, and with whatever colour you like. The classic LBD is a look that works for many women time and time again. For those chilly evenings out, pair your LBD with a classic beige trench coat.

Vintage-Style Sunglasses

Some of the greatest vintage-style sunglasses have to be wayfarers, aviators, Jackie O’s and cat’s eye. You might have thought that these styles are modern, but fashions have a way of resurfacing. Remember Audrey Hepburn’s wayfarer style sunglasses in Breakfast at Tiffany’s? Tom Cruise’s aviator sunglasses in Top Gun? Jackie Onassis wearing her signature oversized, round sunglasses (this style was named after her), and the cat’s eye sunglasses worn by every housewife in the 50s and 60s?

Vintage-Style Earrings

I have a pair of clip-on earrings that are very dear to me. They belonged to my grandmother and anyone who knows me knows that I wear them all the time. What I love about them is that they compliment any outfit. If you can’t get hold of your grandmother’s vintage clip-on’s, don’t worry too much as many of the vintage stores and markets still sell them. If you want to go for a more classic style, try vintage pearl earrings with a matching necklace.

Mary Jane Shoes or Classic Round Pumps

Shoes have a way of rounding off a look. When it comes to vintage, a pair of Mary Jane’s or classic round pumps will do just that. My advice would be to start off with a neutral colour, such as tan, black, navy blue or ivory white. This is to ensure that they’ll match with all your outfits and then, when you’re ready, perhaps start experimenting with bold colours and prints.


Vintage Hair & Make-Up


Personally, when it comes to hair and make-up, I always keep it simple.
Delicate, wavy hair, with a winged liner on the eyes and a nude lip. 
Or, all my hair pulled back into a sleek bun with soft eyes and dark red lips. 
I’m also a huge fan of plaits or braids as they tend to soften a look quite nicely.



Nicole's Thrifting Tips









A
  • Always check the fabrics for holes and stains. Unless it's really worth sewing up or bleaching (if it's white), then don't buy it.
  • Check the label. This gives you an indication of what it’s worth and whether the selling price is reasonable. If it’s Gucci, you’re going to pay a bit more.
  • TRY THE ITEM ON! I’ve made the mistake before of not trying the item on and then going home and drowning in it.
  • If you’re new to vintage, try and mix one vintage item with modern items. For example; wear your new shift dress with your vintage clutch bag.
  • I recommend hand washing most vintage items, especially lace. Older fabrics may be damaged in very hot water.
  • Have fun! Thrifting can soon become a great hobby of yours.

A Special Thanks to Nicole for taking the time to guest post and for defining 'Vintage Style'. 
I hope you have enjoyed her retro fashion tips and thrifting tricks as much as I have. 
Is 'Vintage' something you would try out?


    *Images sourced via Tumblr, Polyvore and Nicole's blog, Diamonds & Dust.

    92 comments:

    Paola Lauretano said...

    Very interesting post Sam!!!!!
    I love the 50's style dresses!!!!!
    Kisses my dear!

    Stella said...

    I liked the sunglasses.
    Nice tips she gave us!

    Stella said...

    PS. You removed the captcha! Thank you!

    InĂªs Aniceto said...

    oh, audrey. <3

    Stephanie / Cocochic said...

    It's not for me really, but I love that LBD!!

    Please feel free to enter my Daniel Wellington giveaway (here) - you could win yourself a watch worth £200!x

    Blog | Cocochic
    Bloglovin | http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/1823055/

    Sandy at Ooh La Frou Frou said...

    Great tips, Sam, for what to look for in vintage style. I, too, approach it carefully because the wrong look could just look ... wrong ... but when it's done right, it's so charming! I think I always feel comfortable in an LBD and I love the pieces you have with it, the tiffany blue pumps and Audrey looking sunglasses! And I love the classic forties hairstyles for after-five ... they add a certain something! Thanks for stopping by last week, always a pleasure! xoxo ~S

    SANDY M Illustration
    http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.com

    Ice Goddhez Blog said...

    Wow! So pretty! Those dresses with floral prints ... Nicole's Essentials! Great! And the LBD styling! Glam! :)

    Nice styles Sam! THanks for sharing!

    Happy Mothers' Day to everyone! Enjoy and have fun! :)




    ★♡ New Fashion Outfit Post and Review (^_^) ♡★
    ♥♥ Learn to Love ❤ Again with Edressy ✻✻✻
    Product Review post as well for Simplydress.co. nz

    ❤ ~Chai
    http://chenmeicai.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ChaiChenPage
    | Bloglovin' | NetworkedBlogs | Google+ |

    Rebecca Miriam said...

    oh my gosh, i love pretty much everything in this blog post!

    xx, rebecca
    awayinparadise.blogspot.com

    Ceciliette said...

    I'm loooking more and more for high waisted stuff. They fit better and opossed to what i've always thought, they're more comfortable.

    Megan, TfDiaries.com said...

    im such a lover of vintage, it's so funny how things change Xo, Megan, www.TfDiaries.com

    Elle Sees said...

    just gorgeous images!

    Ashley of Southern (California) Belle said...

    I love vintage styles! Fit and flare dresses are my favorite :)

    xo

    Ashley

    Southern (California) Belle

    Unknown said...

    Such beautiful vintage styles, that pink dress is gorgeous.

    xoxo Bree
    The Urban Umbrella
    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com

    LoveT. said...

    Wow ,amazing Post! Love the Dresses!

    kisses

    trishie said...

    I'd love to try vintage. Great tips, hun!

    lucia m said...

    loved the post!


    JOIN MY OASAP GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG!

    www.aroundlucia.com

    joy said...

    I love this guide to vintage! I especially love 50s style dresses, all of them are so gorgeous:) I don't think I have one yet but I do want one haha.

    A Very Sweet Blog said...

    Fabulous advice! Vintage is becoming more and more popular. She definitely knows her stuff! Love 50's dresses!

    And Kate said...

    Loving this!
    New beauty post on my blog
    Have a great day
    Much Love,
    Kate xo

    www.and-kate.blogspot.com
    www.twitter.com/andkateblog
    www.instagram.com/andkateblog

    Alexandra Zakharova said...

    I love such style, though Im not wearing such items, so some reasons::) interesting post! Nice pictures as well;)
    Have a great time!

    Best wishes, Alexandra
    www.svetusvet.com

    Johlet said...

    WOW love this post!
    I am a big vintage fan! :) But like you never know how to wear it!
    http://johced-ourjourneytoeverywhere.blogspot.com/2013/05/fashion-friday-autumnwinter-2013-special.html
    xxx

    Loving Evelyn said...

    great post,love the dresses
    http://loving-evelyn.blogspot.ro

    Unknown said...

    Wow!!! Nicole is fabulous i love her vintage pieces, although i have never heard of her before but i think her collections are beautiful, i wanna wear all these...
    rock4less.blogspot.co.uk

    miasmode said...

    I enjoyed her vintage tips very much. I want to dress like that too. I wish I had Grace Kelly wardrobe. I always loved her style <3

    xx

    livlovelaugh said...

    This is so helpful! I am having the same problem -- love vintage, but not sure how to achieve it really....

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    Eva M. said...

    Thank you for commenting on my blog! feel free to follow me and I will follow back! Just let me know! Very nice blog!

    xx
    FashionEvELand | FEEL
    http://fashioneveland.blogspot.gr/
    https://www.facebook.com/FashionEvELand

    Madame Chic Bcn said...

    Dear Sam, I'm so happy that you've posted this article today!! Eventhough I'm not an expert in the vintage style I'm certainly very fond of it and love to discover new blogs talking about it. So I add this one to my blogroll list!! ;-)
    xoxo
    Patricia

    http://misstoptenimage.blogspot.com

    daggistr said...

    OMG such a great post Dear ! I love vintage ! and BB is one of my Fav icons <3 !

    c said...

    all these items are amazing!

    <3

    Josie said...

    Lovely post! I'd love a pair of vintage sunnies xxx

    Mademoiselle Mode said...

    OMG perfect vintage selection <3

    Kisses
    http://www.mademoisellemode.com/

    Unknown said...

    PERFECTION AND THANK YOU!!!
    I am a big lover of great vintage style.
    Can she do more guest post please? !!!
    Hope you had a wonderful weekend my doll.

    Beauty Follower said...

    Lovely post dear!

    Have a great week :)

    Annie said...

    Such pretty dresses! Loving that pink satin dress with the full skirt :)

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    Diva Desle said...

    So beautiful!! Wish I could own all the dresses and ankle strap heels.

    Lilli said...

    Morning Sam! Hope you had a nice weekend!:) Congrats for the feature of today! I love vintage too, especially mixing old accessories with new garments, in fact I always look for vintage pieces and try to collect them:) I know Nicole's blog too, she is just gorgeous, have enjoyed her tips, she wrote a great guest post! I think the LBD is something that cannot miss in a wardrobe, I also have a pair of sunnies from '70 and are my fav model! Happy Monday my dear, big hugs! xo

    Anonymous said...

    Vintage <3

    Silvia Negretti said...

    Great tips and photos!
    I love vintage style!
    xxx
    S
    http://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it

    Joy Shana said...

    Beautiful dresses, lovely post
    Shana-Style

    Elisa Zanetti said...

    Thanks for the great post...I love vintage style!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    Anonymous said...

    I am obsessed with vintage floral tea dresses! And those Tiffany blue heels are beautiful! Great choices!!

    Carmen said...

    What a great post, the chosen dresses and skirts look like so much fun!
    xx
    www.clothesandcamera.com

    Natalia | Look-A-Porter said...

    This is a wonderful post and great tips (also really like the LBD outfit idea), but what I found the most interesting is how much this Edith Head dress on Grace Kelly reminded me of Dior Spring 2013 - it left me speechless....
    x

    Unknown said...

    Hey babe! How are you? I'm super busy with my final exams! I love vintage so much, but here there aren't enough shops so I can't buy anything vintage.... I'll check out that vintage magazine now!:)
    Have a nice week babe!
    XX

    Stella said...

    Well about spam messages...
    Some bloggers block the option for Anonymous comments. Personally I don't like it since some users may want to remain anonymous.
    There is also the choice of you approving the comments that are published. This means that your post will never have spam comments.
    Hope this helps somehow.

    Unknown said...

    obviously I love this post since I'm obsessed with all things vintage :)

    xxx
    Lady Ă  la Mode

    Always Maylee said...

    Love those gorgeous dresses!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    Sandra Leiva said...

    Love the "Vintage Hair & Make-Up" pictures!!

    xx

    Denise said...

    Just arrived from London, I am a bit drained, you know what I mean! But I had to come here for sure! And what for a lovely post! I wasn't much into vintage in the past, but it's a growing love :) and I love reading about it! I simply loved the first row of dresses, the floral blue one! Gorgeous! So, I owe you mail :) before I travel I will write! Thank you so much for the "woman of strength" - you know sometimes I feel so silly!

    StylishByNature said...

    So stylish, so beautiful! I love Vintage !!

    New Post up...
    ❤ StylishByNature.com

    Kati said...

    Thanks for your sweet words on my last post, they brightened my day!
    These tips are great, I love a good vintage style but am a little intimidated by it. Thanks for sharing!

    Hope you have a fantastic day,
    -Kati

    Oh to Be a Muse said...

    I love the high waisted skirts and the vintage hair!

    Oh to Be a Muse
    Shop Layered Muse

    Unknown said...

    Such a great post dear, I am also a fan of vintage style, such grace, elegance and femininity. Hope you are well xxx

    http://monstermagpie.blogspot.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/magicmagpie666
    follow on instagram @fashwanfox

    Anna and Klaudia said...

    wow, these dresses are so pretty :)

    Giveaway Firmoo.com – 7 winners will win a prize!

    MateaTPol said...

    Vintage is really my thing! I Love vintage stuff!

    Maddie said...

    Ah such a wonderful and inspiring post! I really like your fashion sense sweetie, because those dress are amazing! :)

    callmemaddie.blogspot.com

    margaret cruzemark said...

    Vintage well presented. Love the total black outfit.
    Best Regards
    Miss Margaret Cruzemark
    http://margaretcruzemark.blogspot.com/

    Ellen Grace said...

    I love the vintage style as well, but find it hard to achieve it, those pleated skirts are just amazing

    Ellen // A little bit Unique // Facebook // Bloglovin



    xx

    Anonymous said...

    I used to be into vintage; nowadays less but if I come across the right dress or bag I won't say no. The 60s and 70s are my favourite decades.

    LUXESSED

    Ivana said...

    What a great post, Sam! I've always wanted to try my hand at vintage fashion, but I've always been afraid to pick the wrong thing, and not do it right. That's why this post couldn't be more helpful! I'm definitely pinning this for future use!

    xx Ivana

    Macarons and Pearls

    Fashion-Bridge said...

    Great tips dear! I like the vintage inspired style! i think my favs are end of the 1950-ies and beginning of the 1960-ies. And all the beautiful ladies you've pictured here are style icons and great inspiration to me!

    Xx

    Alexandra

    www.fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

    Ivana said...

    Gorgeous dresses, love the post!

    Ivana
    xo

    Kashaya said...

    Those high waisted skirts are so pretty.=)

    Unknown said...

    wow beautiful!!!!:)
    www.borsadimarypoppins.com

    Patricia G. said...

    Love the 50's style!!! The dresses are fantastic!!!
    xoxo
    www.donkeycool.blogspot.com

    Isa Machado said...

    I love vintage things, dress's, jewellery, everything! :D

    Dressed With Soul said...

    Congrats to this interesting and professional post! I like vintage dresses :)

    Thanks for following - it´s a pleasure for me that I already followed you back on gfc and bloglovin <3

    xx from Bavaria, Rena

    www.dressedwithsoul.blogspot.de

    Nhi said...

    thank you & nicole so much for this post, it's amazing!:) my favorite part was the thrift shopping tipps:) yes i'd love to try out some vintage pieces, especially accessoires, they're super pretty!

    StaceyKo said...

    I just came across a vintage blogger, she inspired me!
    And now your post! ooohhh...I think I should wear my vintage-looking dresses more often!

    xoxo
    Stacey Ko
    http://staceyko.blogspot.hu/

    Why Girls Are Weird said...

    I definitely love vintage styles!

    Sisters In Style said...

    I love vintage style!! Brigitte Bardot... She's my icon:)))

    Joana Teixeira said...

    nice post :) following you too and on bloglovin too!

    Unknown said...

    I love this post dear, Have a great day. Kisses,

    http://mapetitebyana.blogspot.com.es/

    Sakuranko said...

    The dresses are really cute and pretty.

    xoxo

    aki! said...

    While I love the vintage styles, I'm not that into thrifting. I think I like traditional stuff reinterpreted in a modern setting.

    7% Solution​

    Tamara Chloé said...

    Oooh wow Sam!

    This is such a fantastic post!
    I really Will use it once I will go thrifting again.
    All these tips including the LBD are great!
    Nicole really knows what she is talking about!

    Have a fab day Sammy and thanks for sharing this with us!

    kisses xoxo Tamara Chloé

    http://tamarachloestyleclues.blogspot.nl/



    Alexa said...

    Sam <3 sorry I havent been by in forever! I love your post. Vintage Style is the bomb.com. I wish I was daring enough to wear it. I love that black dress so much <3

    Alexa <3
    http://sleepeatbreathefashion.blogspot.com/

    Sirah said...

    I love the vintage style is one of my favorites!.

    So your post I liked it!, Congratulations!

    http://coletas-rebeldes.blogspot.com.es/

    Rahul Bhatia said...

    Delightful vintage collections:)

    mochaccinoland said...

    love those vintage-inspired dresses & skirts in the first set <3

    xoxo
    mochaccinoland.blogspot.com

    Jessica said...

    Hi Sam! Love the Dresses and I love vintage styles!
    Have a nice day my dear :)

    The Fashion Heels
    Facebook
    Bloglovin
    Twitter

    Gloria e Rogerio said...

    Hi friend, love your post, wonderful.
    We wish you a great day.
    Kisses Glorinha.
    http://sbrincos.blogspot.com.br

    The Dragonfruit said...

    This is such a great post about vintage style! I need to put more effort into my hair...

    Trendy Teal

    Imogen said...

    Fabulous post. Vintage is my favourite ever. I dont know as much as 'd like to about achieving the look. But generally I go for a vintage cut dress (especially love 1950s) and a hairstyle like Audrey and some pearls

    Unknown said...

    love this style!

    Anthea’s Fashion
    Facebook

    Sue Westrell said...

    I always love posts about vintage, so this is awesome! Also, this post sums up my ideal wardrobe basically... I love 50's style clothing. It's actually perfect for my body type. High-waisted skirts are surprisingly difficult to find, actually.

    xo
    Sue

    Nicole said...

    Such an honour to be featured here!
    xxx

    Unknown said...

    GREAT POST..LOVE IT
    www.theprincessgown.com

    Nature Health Secrets said...

    Love those collection, Will be eagerly waiting for more.

    My Blog :- Nature Health Secrets

    And will love to hear from you. I am a new follower of yours

    Unknown said...

    love your post! great ideas and love your ideas for vintage style

    Kiki Simone

    Adriana Carmen said...

    Nice post!Beautiful presented!

    Rakhshan said...

    excellent picks! this is a helpful post indeed with wonderful insight from your friend! I love everything and anything vintage! Adore the vintage makeup looks, they're timeless according to me! x

    The Fashion Personal