Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Fashion Illustrating with Meagan Morrison

I recently discovered the design blog of the very talented Meagan Morrison, whose stunning fashion illustrations have truly awed and inspired me. I was honoured when this creative New York based artist agreed to an interview with me. Meagan specializes in fashion illustrations made for print and digital media, blog layouts, accessory and stationary design. Her ingenious work features true-to-life drawings mirrored from the runway, fashion events, and magazines. This is a glimpse inside the imaginative world of fashion illustrator, Meagan Morrison...

Mary Katrantzou Illustration

Q & A with Meagan Morrison


1. What sparked your interest in fashion illustration?

From the time I was very young I had two unfailing loves, painting and fashion. When I was around 7 years old, I can remember sketching a collection of 30 women's looks under my stairwell in my childhood home. I had no interest in learning how to make the clothes I illustrated, but I knew that I wanted to keep drawing them. It took me about 15 more years to discover that I could actually have a career doing just that!

Coco Rocha Illustration

2. Where are you based and what does your job entail?

I am currently based in New York but originally from Toronto, Canada. I also spent four years in Montreal, Quebec obtaining my Bachelor of Commerce at McGill University. I came to New York five years ago to pursue my fashion illustration career and have been here ever since...
Anna Sui Illustration

As for my job, it is a 24 hrs a day/7 days a week commitment of hard work, discipline, and passion. When who you are and what you do are the same, you live and breathe your job. My blog and my fashion illustrations are a complete reflection of my most intrinsic self. Currently during the day I work as a Senior Digital Designer and Social Media Editor for an accessories company in Manhattan. But on my evenings and weekends I spend all my time illustrating, either personal work or commissions, and tending to my social media accounts. I nurture my social media like a garden. It takes maintenance and engagement in order for it to grow.


Moschino Runway Illustration

3. What is your illustrative style?

My style has been described as being very whimsical. I always incorporate lots of color and infuse it with both travel and fashion inspiration. Some drawings are rendered loosely in 7 minutes or less, illustrated straight to paper. Other illustrations are slightly more rendered and involve conceptualizing in my sketchbook, transferring to watercolor paper, and more attention to detail in their finishing. I'm not a 'one style for all scenarios' illustrator. I have flexibility in my paint handling.


Macaron Marie

4. Of all your illustrations, which one is your personal favourite?

Hmm...my personal favorite is probably Macaron Marie. It was the first painting I did after finishing my Fashion Illustration AAS degree at FIT in New York, and it's very indicative of my personal voice and brand. It incorporates travel, with Parisian macarons from Laduree, and merges it with a fashion style portrait of Elle Fanning as a modern day Marie Antoinette. Friends have said that when they think of me, they think of that painting!




Custo Barcelona FW13

5. Do you prefer illustrating digitally or by hand?
Totally, 100%, I prefer painting by hand. Nothing brings me more joy than washy inks or watery gouache touching fresh watercolor paper. There is a spontaneity in live painting that can't be replaced or replicated with computers. That said, I always scan my works and clean them up in photoshop when they are finished. Not all accidents are happy ones!

Dolce & Gabbana

6. What are your influences and inspirations?

This is always a fun question to answer. I'm definitely inspired by living in New York. From the time I walk out the door in the morning, until I reach my office 20 minutes later, I've already soaked up oodles of inspiration. It could be the way a woman is dressed en route to work, or the shop windows in my neighborhood. We have access to the most incredible art galleries, exhibitions, restaurants, markets, street style, nightlife...everything here is magic. I also collect so much inspiration from my travels abroad. I love to see how other people live, their culture, how they interpret style and fashion, how and what they eat, where they pass time.


7. Are there any specific designers that you would like to work with? 

My absolute number one designer to work with is Kate Spade. I feel that their brand DNA is in perfect alignment with my own. They are all about living colorfully, taking influences from travel and incorporating it into their accessories and inspirations. They also utilize so many illustrators for their capsule collections. They've partnered with Garance Dore and most recently Bruno Grizzo for their Year of Travel collection. For similar reasons I would also love to partner with Henri Bendel. They've worked with the amazing Izak Zenou and Megan Hess on beautiful fashion illustrated silk scarves, travel cases, and accessories.

Moschino

8. Ideally, where would you like your career in fashion illustration to go in the future?

I want it to grow, grow, grow!! In the very near future I want to be running Meagan Morrison Studio full-time, an illustration and creative services company. I want to design my own line of accessories and stationary as well as continue to do editorial and custom illustrations for magazines, designers, and personal commissions. One area I'm really interested in now is collaborating with other designers for artist series projects. I love the idea of bringing two different creative sources together and designing a limited number of items to sell. I also want to continue building my blog and social media community. I love engaging with other artists and followers who share my passion for fashion illustration. Having my blog has been the driving force behind my growth and personal development in my illustrations. There is only one way I would like my illustration career to go, and that's up!!

Meagan Morrison is a New York based fashion illustrator & designer available for freelance commissions, including blog designs, headers and layouts.

Blog: http://travelwritedraw.blogspot.com/

Website: http://www.meaganmorrison.com/
Email: mmillustrations@gmail.com
Instagram: @travelwritedraw


A very special thanks to the lovely Meagan for participating in this interview and for sharing her beautiful designs!

105 comments:

Londyn said...

WOW - so gorgeous! Can't pick a favorite :)

www.fashionistastyle1.blogspot.com

BELULOVE said...

great!!!! ♥

Jackie Harrison said...

Beautiful and very talented work love these images pretty amazing doll great job.
http://tifi11.blogspot.com

Tali @ RockMyHeels said...

Oh my, this girl is so talented! Such an interesting interview, especially for me, because I'm learning to draw. She's is such an inspiration.

xx
Tali
www.RockMyHeels.com

Unknown said...

Amazing illustration!
Kisses

NEW POST

www.angelswearheels.com

Jointy&Croissanty said...

These illustrations are fabulous! Interesting interview!

TRENDSURVIVOR said...

WoW! Her illustrations are amazing! I love her aesthetic and the interview!
xNina
http://trendsurvivor.com

Unknown said...

These illustrations are really pretty
Ciao

Lisa said...

i love this! this interview is awesome. thank you for sharing this with us and her gorgeous illustrations!

www.lisalovescoco.blogspot.com

Paola Lauretano said...

Great job... amazing illustration!!!!
My answer for you: -It depends, if the summer has been particularly hot, october may still be mild and pleasant (at least in the first week), then begin rainy and cold!-
Kisses babe!!!!

Meagan Morrison said...

Thank you so much again for the opportunity to collaborate on this post with you Sam! I'm thrilled to be sharing my journey with your readers!

Meag xx
travelwritedraw.blogspot.com

Katie said...

Oh wow, such an interesting interview and amazing pictures! She's so talented, I'd have these on my wall. xx

Unknown said...

So beautiful!! love the colors would be perfect in my room :)
have a lovely day

www.shaunasharp.com

Shannon Jenkins said...

Ah! I love Meagan!! She is absolutely amazing and talented!! All her illustrations are stunning! So nice to learn more about her!!

<3 Shannon
Upbeatsoles.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow wow and wowww!!! Amazing draws! What an explosion of art.... Great interview as well :)
Thaks for sharing Sam!

Kisses darling!

Unknown said...

She is oh so talented! These drawings would look amazing hung in a fashion lovers office!

http://kacieskloset.blogspot.com/

Emmylou said...

Wow! Her illustrations are fantastic, and she's from my city! Woot woot! :D
I do think a collab with Kate Spade would be perfect for her.

Unknown said...

WOOW! I can't begin to say how awed I am with all this illustration.
THis is such a great interview too Sam!

Joana Teixeira said...

they're amazing! love the first one :)

Ali Hval said...

AAaaa! Sam, this was such a neat post to read. And you asked the best questions. I really love seeing fashion illustrations, and these are definitely quirky and unique compared to some of the more "standard" ones you'll see. Especially that first one that appears to be dripping, how cool! I wish this gal the best luck--she's amazing and I'm sure someone will recognize her talent out there. :)

Have a wonderful rest of your week, Sam!! <3

Chic Delights said...

It's so nice to meet a fellow Canadian, Meagan Morrison. She is so talented. Her fashion illustrations are so colourful and modern. Well done Sam.

Olivia said...

Beautiful! I absolutely love fashion illustrators... I love this one because her illustrations have so much movement and life to them!
xo Olivia

Alexa said...

oh these are absolutely gorgeous! I always wish I could sketch :) fashion sketches are by far the most beautiful in my opinion <3 I love it Sam! and thank you so much for the 90210 comment...such a compliment

Alexa <3
http://sleepeatbreathefashion.blogspot.com

Beautetude said...

Beautiful illustrations for sure. Very inspiring.
Beautetude

Unknown said...

Wow.. now that's what you call talent! It's unbelievable how real the sketches look.. such a great artist. :)

Take care always, love Christine ~ xo
www.chriissydollxo.com
BLOG | BLOGLOVIN' | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

Samantha Mariko said...

I think fashion illustrators are amazing, and Meagan's are so so beautiful! I love her use of color. what a lovely interview :)
www.lettersimpromptu.blogspot.com

Beauty Unearthly said...

Wow...it looks super amazing...thx for sharing honey...:-)
xx

Zaha said...

Wow, these are stunning. I love really creative fashion illustrations! I'm glad my favourite collection of all time (Dolce and Gabbana S/S 2012) is featured!

Lace and Lipstick Stains

Margaret Dallospedale said...

OMG Stunning
Meagan has such talent!!!
Kisses my sweet Sam
Maggie D

The Indian Savage diary

Pinkoolaid said...

wow these look great :)

http://www.pinkoolaid.com/

Ileana said...

These illustrations are amazing!
xoxo

Novelstyle

Don't forget to check my Shopbop gift card giveaway!!

Natalia | Look-A-Porter said...

Wonderful interview and really beautiful illustrations! Thank you for the introduction, Sam! x

Anett said...

These are amazing indeed. What a talent!

http://bellapummarola.blogspot.it/

thebeautifulessence said...

Gorgeous illustations, really love her work!
www.thebeautifulessence.com

Josie said...

What a talent! Meagan's illustrations are stunning. Fab post Sam! x

Josie’s Journal

Sharon (Style-Chameleon) said...

Her drawings are beautiful!



www.style-chameleon.com

Unknown said...

I LOVE THIS.
XOXO*
http://a-mylifestyle.blogspot.fr

Magda Carvalho said...

Love the frist :)

http://retromaggie.blogspot.pt/

Alexandra Zakharova said...

Those illustration are so gorgeous and professional, simply terrific! I love sketching too, but in front of these works my illustrations are ugly and defective. Thank You for sharing such a great, informative post, Sam! I do enjoyed!
Wish you a blessed day ahead!

Helena Resende said...

Amazing illustrations :)

Unknown said...

Eeep, what a talented lady! Her illustrations are just beautiful.

Tara xo

Unknown said...

Dear Sam, I'm so sorry, I normally check posts out on Mon, Wed and Fri and I didn't "see" this one coming! It was yesterday! This illustrator is amazing, and I loved the interview! She is really very talented! Interesting is that I am drawing fashion as well, but never dared displaying it on the blog... obviously I'm not as talented as she is! denisesplanet.com

Unknown said...

Me encantan las ilustraciones !!
Son bellisimas !!
Un besazo

http://mapetitebyana.blogspot.com.es/

Sofia said...

Those drawing are absolutely perfect.. Thanks for sharing this amazing work !

Bisous !
Sofia
http://nuagedemoutons.blogspot.fr/

Alexis Grace of North On Harper said...

Wow! How amazing! Thanks so much for the introduction… these are beautiful!

Unknown said...

Lovely post!
Marina
http://www.maridress.blogspot.it/

Sandra Leiva said...

These are amazing!!!

xx

http://www.madridforniagirl.com/

Veronica Vannini said...

wow, amazing illustrations!
Kiss!!!
Passa a trovarmi VeryFP

BĂ¡rbara Marques said...

I'm speechless! Simply amazing! http://mykindofjoy.blogspot.pt/

Sarah-M. said...

I really enjoy reading the interview! Well done!
Her illustrations are amazing!
Thanks for sharing!
xx
Sarah

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

Meagan's work is just beautiful! Thanks for the inspiring interview as well Sam!

Rowena @ rolala loves

Shopping Lady said...

Great illustrations *.*!

My latest post: Benecos natural lipstick by Bioeco-shop.it

THE SHOPPING GIRLS

Sissi Nuthman said...

Wow- what an inspiring interview! She is so talented- I can not believe how beautiful her illustrations are. The designs are so happy and full of life. I am glad you shared this with us! Loved this! Kisses Sissi, www.beauty4free2u.com

Kati said...

Wow, these are properly nice - she has a wonderful style!

-Kati

Style and Paper said...

Wow amazing illustrations!! I didn't know about her!

xoxo
Style and Paper
Bloglovin

Deepali said...

This illustrations are absolutely beautiful! Amazing interview

http://callmenames.blogspot.co.uk/

Pilar DomĂ­nguez said...

Awsome!! she is an artist! I loved her illustrations, her style is beautiful. Kisses, Sam:)

Jessica said...

She's very talented, amazing illustrations! Awesome interview! =)

http://whattostyle.blogspot.com/

xoxo,
Jess

Coco said...

These illustrations are so impressive!! I would be happy to hang them on my walls!
Baci,
Coco
Coco et La vie en rose / Bloglovin / Facebook
International giveaway: win a sparkle made in Italy

Louisa said...

Very lovely illustrations!! Would you like to follow each other on GFC, Bloglovin & Google+? If interested, please let me know.

Louisa
LA PASSION VOUTEE
http://lapassionvoutee.blogspot.com/

Lady Trends said...

Awesome ilustrations Sam!!! I really love this! A friend of mine http://www.fungiexpress.com/ is ilustrator also and I love to see all the fashion drawing. Great job with the interview doll!
Big kisses and hope you have a wonderful week!

Lady Trends
http://myladytrends.blogspot.com.es/ NEW POST!!

mademoisellemode said...

Beautiful illustrations ^^

Kisses
http://www.mademoisellemode.com/

Kashaya said...

Wow these are amazing!

Unknown said...

Those illustrations are just amazing I love it ! Very inspiring

http://lorallure.blogspot.com

Love
-Laurie

alessandra said...

These illustrations are so beautiful!!
www.alessandrastyle.com

Svetlana said...

THose illustrations are super nice :)

Hugs
Svetlana from Lavender Star // BlogLovin //
Instagram // Faceboook

Pandamone Stylist. said...

Not exactly my style of illustrations but they are very colorful:0
xoxo
http://pandamone.blogspot.com/2014/05/cat-hat-baby.html

Vanessa said...

Wow, amazing art. *__*
Lovely greets Ness

Rebeca Muñoz LĂ³pez said...

Oooh Sam this interview was wonderful and inspiring so much for me, I love draw too, but I have sleep this talent on me, I hope soon put in practice! Thanks for shared.

www.urbanikamoda.blogspot.com

Tanya said...

Dear Sam. Congratulations on an incredible interviewed, and wow what an illustrations, so fun so art, so playful, so fashionable. Overall, so impressive. This is I call, A beautiful world of fashion. I am not just say it, I really really love her sense of work and i feel her soul behind the clothes. Thank you for an introducing Sam. Have and enjoy the rest of your week darling girl!

http://www.attraction2fashion.com

Unknown said...

This is amazing! I love her illustrations so much. I'm glad you interviewed her because I probably wouldn't have found her incredible illustrations otherwise!

http://howtomakehome.blogspot.com

Kat said...

wow these illustrations are absolutely amazing! what a great interview :D

http://katslovefashion.blogspot.com

Mikka said...

Impressive interview, very talented girl, great answers and illustrations wish i can draw like that hehe. Its true inspirations are everywhere its in the things around us! The streets and people watching are my favourite source of inspirations. What inspires you? How do you describe south african fashion? Bank holiday monday just finished, I wish there's a bank holiday every month!! :) Have a nice day Sam!!

A Very Sweet Blog said...

What a talent! Love her Moschino drawing!
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Unknown said...

Wow. Nice illustrations. They really transformed into wonderful fashion outfits.

Toks said...

WOW!!!! Absolutely amazing. The drawings are better than the original runway photos. Beautiful post.
xoxoxo

sonia // daring coco said...

Whoa! She is amazing! I hope I can buy some of these works!

SDMxx
www.daringcoco.com

Kathryn said...

Love her use of color! These illustrations are just so gorgeous.

Clothing Styles for Women said...

I really enjoyed reading this blogpost, keep on writing such interesting posts.

The Dragonfruit said...

Oh wow, I'm so inspired by these amazing illustrations! They're incredibly artistic <3

The Dragonfruit Diaries

Marion | The Dutch Adventure Seeker said...

Beautiful!!

The Equinox Fashion by Paweerata said...

Thes artworks look so good! Love them

Amanda chic said...

Gorgeous designs
http://amandachic.com/about/noticias/smart-denim.html

Unknown said...

They are fabulous, this girl is so talented!! Love especially the first one!
Xxx

Carolina

www.theworldc.com

Unconventional Secrets said...

she is very talented. they are amazing
have a nice day honey
unconventionalsecrets.blogspot.it

miasmode said...

Amazing interview Sam!! The illustrations look marvelous (I wish I could sketch)! The Macaron Marie is my favorite. Have a wonderful day!

xx Mira

www.glamdevils.com

Bellezzefelici said...

So a lovely post! I admire illustrators, I like all form of arts. For this reason a illustration, in my mind, should be always made by hand.
Have a day full of light!

xoxo
www.bellezzefelici.blogspot.com

Patricia G. said...

Amazing illustrations!!!
xoxo
http://www.bloglovin.com/en/blog/4487669

cat eyes & skinny jeans said...

Oh, I just adore her work! She is brilliant at bringing supermodels {and gorgeous clothes!} to life!

xx

Elisa Zanetti said...

amazing illustration!

Nameless Fashion Blog

Unknown said...

OMG!!! Sooo talented!
Xx,
Julie | http://www.juliechagas.com/

Silvia Negretti said...

Wow, this post is so interesting!!!!
She's sooo talented! Amazing illustrations and grea interview! :D
xxx
S
http://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it

MilanoTime said...

OMG they are stunning!
She is very talented <3
xoxo
http://www.milanotime.net

Elisabeth said...

Wow, amazing drawings! This was a very interesting blog post, keep up the good work Sam! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

xxx
E from Helsinki, Finland
http://dragonflyelisabeth.blogspot.fi/

awhite said...

Oh my, so talented! Thanks for sharing, babe!
Happy Thursday!

-Ashley
http://lestylorouge.com

mochaccinoland said...

amazing illustrations! i wish i could draw like her!!!

xoxo
mochaccinoland.blogspot.com

Imke said...

Whoaa! She's very talented indeed, her work is stunning!

XO IMKE

Carolyna's world said...

She is awesome :-) Sam like always so great post :-)

BEAUTYEDITER.COM – Beauty Blog said...

Hi dear! her illustrations are all gorgeous! Have a great day. :)



I AM ALSO ON: Instagram @kennydaily, Bloglovin and Facebook


xoxo;
What Kenny Hearts a Fashion and Decor Blog

Unknown said...

She's so talented! Love the illustrations.
Have a nice day Sam.

xx Lori
http://fabeau-trends.blogspot.de

The Fashion Stir Fry said...

Er, yeah! My oh my, her work is excellent.... and she is from Toronto, Canada. We only produce the best :))). Awesome interview!

http://www.thefashionstirfry.com

miss b said...

What a talented lady! I love fashion illustrations so this was the perfect post for me, not only admiring these amazing images but also reading about what goes on behind the scenes. Macaron Marie is such fun and also the Moschino illustration too. I'm going to pop over to her blog to see more!

Caro * said...

Fabulous illustrations ! So talented !

Tany said...

Thanks for sharing Maegan's work, I'm in deep awe with her illustrations!
Many hugs,
Tany et La Mode

PatrĂ­cia M. said...

So, so beautiful!

<3
http://zazzish.blogspot.pt/