Monday, August 01, 2011

Closet Confidential with Sheri Lee


Sheri Lee is a talented upcoming fashion designer and style blogger. She is currently working on an exciting new commercial line, which will include screen-printed t-shirts, tanks and crop tops. Sheri Lee also has the enviable job of attending South Africa's best fashion events, which she reports on for her blog, Safashiongirl. On today's Closet Confidential, she tells us more about her fun approach to fashion. 



What is the inspiration behind your clothing line?
I've been inspired by the wild aspect of youth; Summer road trips, trashing hotel rooms, getting married in Vegas; just causing trouble and making a mess. 

As a designer, which celebrity would you to dress?
Juliette Lewis. I like her attitude, she seems to have fun with fashion. 

Describe your personal style
Accessory overload and dark meets light, I'm very into contrast. I also like a little 'theme' because I enjoy finding a way to tailor any influence into something subtle enough that's wearable. You can dress 80s for a day, incorporating make up, accessories, sequins, you name it; the fun is figuring out how to translate it into something that is exciting but wearable at the same time. 

Who are your favourite designers and why?
I'm into a lot of different styles, I like designers with a a strong edge whether their aesthetic is fun, classic, dark, avant garde, sexy or glamourous. I adore fashion houses like Viktor & Rolf, Jean Paul Gaultier and Valentino but I also enjoy whimsical designers like Jean-Charles de Castelbajac and Jeremy Scott. Locally I like Clive Rundle and I think Joel Jansen van Vuuren is one to watch. 

Best Fashion Trend
Wearing way too many accessories! 

Worst Fashion Trend
Fanny packs are awful but I actually own a blue sequin one because I thought I could magically transform it into being cool. I don't think it's going to happen, haha. 

Who are your style icons?
I love the blogger Hanna Beth Merjos, she has a kind of glitter vs. grunge look going on. I also love Taylor Momsen and Gwen Stefani.


What is on your fashion wish list? 
A tacky tassel tee, House of Holland stockings, a distressed jersey and a bow tie.


What is your most treasured item of clothing?
 
I have this really simple little black dress from Betsey Johnson, it has subtle buttons down the front so it lengthens the body and it's so easy to wear. 

Most extravagant fashion purchase 
I bought a classic black Chanel 2.55 bag and I'm so in love with it! 

What are the 'must have' items in your closet and why?
I just love dresses because they're an easy template to build onto and really convenient for fast but put-together dressing. You can have the sweetest dress and make it edgy with boots or you can go all saccharine and put a blouse over it. 

What is your Fashion Philosophy? 
Have fun with fashion and feel beautiful. It's easy to dress safely, it's much more interesting to put something together that might not make sense at first. It's sort of like a challenge and that's where you get the best results from. Rather take risks and look silly sometimes than always look appropriate because it's exciting to put together. Getting ready is half the fun sometimes! 

*Special Thanks to Sheri Lee for participating in this interview. 
Wishing her all the best with her new line, can't wait to see it in stores.

4 comments:

FashionJazz said...

Love Sheri lee, shes such a awesome person! : )

Tash said...

Love it

Sheri Lee said...

Thanks for the interview Sam, was fun! :D

Sam said...

Its a pleasure, thanks for being such a sport :)