Monday, July 02, 2012

Postcards From Portugal

While on my recent travels, I spent some time in the beautiful country of Portugal. I was fascinated to learn more about the close historical and trade-route ties between Portugal and South Africa. I really regret not paying more attention in history class when I was younger. I saw spectacular landmarks I had only ever read about. To follow in the footsteps of Vasco da Gama as he embarked upon his journey to the Cape of Good Hope was an experience that is unparalleled. 

I spent most of my time in Lisbon, a city of enchanting colours, cobblestone streets, awe-inspiring ancient edifices, a lush and expansive coastline and a riveting history of exploration and discovery. I loved how the old traditional side of the city is preserved in it's prime, with the newer and more modern buildings drafted to fit within it's charming vintage framework. And that Lisbon has not lost any of the characteristics of it's prolific past. These are some photos I snapped during my tour.

The Jerónimos Monastery is an opulent display of Gothic and Renaissance architectural design with an intrinsic Portuguese flair. It was one of the busiest tourist sites I visited in Lisboa. This Manueline style monument was built over 50 years during the reign of King Manuel I. The amazing nautical inspired interior features extensive halls, rope-trimmed, coral carved columns, reticulated vaults, lengthy aisles and most importantly, the tomb of Vasco da Gama.
1. The historic Belém Tower, which was built to defend the Lisbon harbour. 2. The expertly sculpted Monument to the Discoveries, which depicts Portugal's most important figures and explorers. 3. The Shrine of Fátima, one of the most important religious monuments in the country. There is a very interesting story behind it, have you heard it? 4. The Statue of King José I and behind it is the Arch de Triumph of Rua Augusta. 5. Standing tall over the city is the colossal Cristo-Rei statue, built in resemblance to the famous monument in Rio de Janeiro. 


Lisbon is one of the most colourful cities I've been to. The apartment blocks and modern buildings are painted in radiant, cheery shades, with pink and yellow being a favourite. I also noticed that they decorate their outer walls with lovely patterned tiles.


A view of the 25 de Abril bridge, a crossway over the placid blue waters of the Tagus River. 

The beautiful Rossio Square, where we stopped by to join the locals in dining out at one of the bustling restaurants and coffee shops, and also for some retail therapy. 


*All photographs taken by me. 

42 comments:

Cinnamon and White Chocolate said...

i'd really love to visit portugal! i've been to spain but never in portugal...
thank you for those beautiful photos :D

Josie said...

Ahh this looks stunning! I'd love to visit Portugal, I always go to Spain and it'd be nice to go somewhere different for a change xxx

Roberta said...

I love Portugal!
Great Pics Sam!
Have a great week you too!
Big hug!
www.robertascoolestplaces.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

What a beautiful city. Thank you for sharing your pictures.

http://shannonhearts.blogspot.com/

CourtStar @ StarSystemz said...

Wow What a beautiful trip! I hope to visit soon :)

Rahul Bhatia said...

Sam that must have been a really enjoyable trip to Lisbon . Lucky to be your follower to see such lovely places through your eyes and this beautiful post:) Hope you see many more places to keep sharing the beautiful destinations with us:|

Test said...

Ive always heard its a beautiful place... Thanks a lot for your support last week!

Ember Drake said...

Wow what a beautiful place - I've never visited Portugal before but it looks absolutely lovely! And I just can't resist a bit of history! :-)

Em
x

http://emberdrake.blogspot.co.uk

Unknown said...

Ahhh Sam amazingggg - Morgs & I are going to Portugal on our travels but we only have 4 days there and had to decide between Lisbon and Porto. We initially picked Lisbon as the capital but once I found out Porto was the home town of port we had to change to there instead - I feel like you have just shown me the best parts of Lisbon though and I can leave your page having taken in the beauty of the city through your own eyes and learnt about some important history. Hope you had an amazing weekend.

Anna xo
http://www.lifesshinyprettythings.blogspot.com.au/

Lilli said...

Ciao Sam! I never visited Portugal! It is a beautiful place and the photos are great! They make me want to be there!:) Kisses and have a good day dear!

Nhi said...

this looks so beautiful!:) i was in portugal about 2 years ago and i really loved it. hope you like europe so far hihi:)
btw. i love your travel photos!!!

lots of love xx

Sandra Leiva said...

Amazing pictures, everything looks great, darling! <3

Daniella said...

Hi sweetie,hope you had a lovely weekend! These pictures are gorgeous,the buildings look beautiful and also very well looked after! You must of had a lovely to e there!! :)

Take care,Daniella xox

little K. said...

Love the pictures they are gorgeous! I want my own camera and travel some day.. Thank you so much for your comment on my blog!

Little K.
http://lilkfashionista.blogspot.jp/

erica marie said...

beautiful photos! I really need a vacation asap.

xo erica

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings said...

Gorgeous photos!! I've always wanted to visit Portugal! What an amazing trip you have had!

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

little luxury list said...

Thanks for these lovely photos! I've always wanted to visit Portugal and it looks serene, historic, and lovely!

xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

ftashion said...

Great photos Sam! They make me want to visit Portugal again!

Fang Ting
ftashion

Unknown said...

You write so beautifully and love all the pictures you took. Thanks for the history lesson, I learned a lot.

Anonymous said...

Always wanted to visit Portugal...now more than ever! It looks so beautiful!

<3 Cambria
jupefashion.blogspot.com

The Dragonfruit said...

Oh man, Portugal is amazing! I want to visit there eventually. Lisbon looks beautiful!

Trendy Teal

Maria Flicka said...

As a Portuguese, I'm really glad you liked it here! It has so much to offer, like beautiful beaches and scenery, hospitable people, fantastic weather etc.. If you come here again, you have to visit the North "Douro" "Gerês" and to the South "Alentejo" and "Algarve"....but there is much more beautiful places here :)
I really really love Portugal♥♥

Hope you have a wonderful week :)


x♥x♥

"Saúde & Beleza - Health & Beauty"



paulina said...

wow, i'm envying you the travel;)

Collections said...

Portugal looks incredible. I wish I were traveling myself!

$100 Shopbop GIVEAWAY

VintageDanielle said...

Glorious photos hun! I love the last one's floor sign, it's groovy.

PhilO♥ said...

I've always wanted to go to Portugal Maybe some day I will :)
Beautiful pictures :)
I love your header!

Unknown said...

Epic views and photos! I love these kinds of architectural designs ♥ just makes my imagination run wild with their details...
:)

http://daphyin-makeupisart.blogspot.com

Oh to Be a Muse said...

Such pretty images. Love the photo of the city and the bridge (reminds me of Golden Gate).

Unknown said...

Hello lovely!
I hope you had a great holiday! The pictures are amazing, so I think that you had a great time!

Kultur und Stil said...

I'm a big fan of Portugal, this land is so beautiful and I love the way the cities are "modern" and "very old" at the same time! I've recently visited Porto, and I really need to return to Portugal soon!
And your photos made me want to return there even more!

xxx Anita

Unknown said...

Theses pictures are great! My cousin was just in Portugal as well! I'm just gonna life through both of your pictures till I can get there myself :) Glad you had a great time!
-Jenny
http://thesunshinedistrict.blogspot.com/

Julye said...

hmmm looks so greaT!

Elle Sees said...

How wonderful! I'd love to go

Helena Resende said...

Amazing pictures of my country :)Did you enjoy your stay in Lisbon ? :)

Jenna Hughes said...

wow these are so gorgeous!

http://underthefluorescents.blogspot.com/

Lolita in the Mix said...

Very chic! Beautifull city! Hope you had a great time dear!

xoxo lorena

http://www.lolitainthemix.blogspot.com

Fashion-Bridge said...

I've been in Portugal a couple of times! It's incredibly beautiful country! You made some fantastic shots of it dear!

Xx

Alexandra

www.fashion-bridge.blogspot.com

Rakhshan said...

wow im awe-struck! beautiful pictures sam! what a wonderful vacation:) i wish you'd post one or two of the pictures with you in them too that would be an extra special treat!:) xx

Unknown said...

Great pictures!!!!
You definitely had fun in Portugal!!!!

Unknown said...

Lovely :) glad u liked it! X

hope in high heels said...

What an interesting mix of architecture - it really is the modern meets the medieval a little bit isn't it? Looks like the weather was amazing - I love sitting outside in warm evening air people watching to the sound of another language being spoken around me.

Filipa said...

You've also been in my country... only in lisbon? you didn'te visit Porto?...