Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New York Fashion Week Fall 2012 - Part One

New York Fashion Week
Fall 2012 Favourites
Part One

The Fall 2012 Fashion torch was lit on style island New York last week, where the best US and other international designers showed off their winter collections. There have been so many incredible shows so far, which I will highlight in the next few posts. This first chapter focuses on emerging colour trends - red, black and metallics. Click on the image to enlarge it.


Jason Wu
A Jason Wu winter has a significant Asian appeal and an air of mystery for 2012. Structured military designs from Imperial China inspired a chain of modernized Mao jackets edged with fur. A glamourous 1940's Shanghai was translated into figure-fitting red and black dresses, delicately garnished with the finest gold embroidery. 

Zac Posen
Zac Posen patrons will be all dressed up for Fall 2012, in Japanese-themed peplum dress suits with obi belts, gold jacquard knee-length dresses and hourglass-enhancing corseted evening gowns in glossy duchess satin. Colours ranged from forest green and midnight blue to champagne and ruby red. These sculpted gowns seem to be made with Sofia Vergara and Coco Rocha in mind. 

Badgley Mischka
A glitterati of gowns were presented at Badgley Mischka's 2012 offering, in a host of metallics from glazed gold to burnished bronze and iced silver. Elegant pant suits was vitalized by metallic blazers and fur neck wraps, while gowns were generously daubed with sequins. Models wore electrified hairstyles to contrast the glamourous looks.

 Reem Acra
Lebanese designer Reem Acra radiated the Fall 2012 runway with flashy gold gowns and metallic mini's. Classic dress suits were given a luxurious makeover in leather, metallic tweed and houndstooth. A glittering sequin skirt ensemble (pictured fourth on top row) caught my eye, while angular cut-outs added a sultry edge to floor-length evening gowns.



Prabal Gurung

Neoteric designer Prabal Gurung reinvented sheer cut-outs and digital-print designs for his winter collection, in black and blue neoprene, patent leather and golden lamé. Slick tailored pants were accompanied by capes and fur coats. Ostrich feathers and ruffles enhanced fanciful evening dresses, and perhaps the most striking feature - models in stark blue eyeshadow.


 Rag & Bone
My first thoughts about Rag & Bone winter range was warmth - most literally. While other designers gave us skimpy dresses, Rag & Bone brought us cozy wrapped coats, furry vests and snug printed knits. Layering added depth and interest; skirts over skinny pants, jackets over jerseys, dresses over tights, a mix of mismatched prints and belts over everything.

Naeem Khan
Ethnic opulence was the founding factor at Naeem Khan's Fall 2012 runway show, where his Indian roots shone through with bindi-inspired prints and intricate age-old Eastern embroidery. It's as though he gussied up the tribal trend. His exquisite gowns were showered with metallic beading, sequins and feathers, all of which made for compulsive viewing.


Monique Lhuillier 
Monique Lhuillier's Fall 2012 collection presented us with bold shades of scarlet, enigmatic ebony and lustrous gold. Graphic print dresses were belted for a more curvaceous silhouette, while irresistibly seductive gowns flowed like lava. I loved the extravagant red ruffled gown (pictured bottom row). Lace and beadwork adorned the many evening gowns, which we will be sure to see soon on the red carpet.


Part Two to follow. Who are your favourites from New York Fashion Week?

33 comments:

Nhi said...

love the colors of Prabal Gurung, your reviews are always super cool:)

Love,
Nee
ROSECANDLE11

A Life Un-Styled said...

I'll have me some of the Rag and Bone collection thanks! Gorgeous and practical. Sam your weekend sounded like it was a lot of fun. I'd probably need a couple of days to recover as well. I hope this week is just as fun! <3

tres chic chica said...

Hey Sam!! So happy to be back also and read one of my fav blogs ;) I missed my daily dose of fashion and best dressed girls! xoxo

Great post! What beautiful collections!
http://nyorkeratheart.blogspot.com

joy said...

I love Rag & Bone and Jason Wu :)

VintageDanielle said...

I love this post! Jason Wu and Zac Posen have wonderful collections! I'm also likinh Rag & Bone's darker tone pieces.

Unknown said...

Wow I could stare at those all day haha! :) Thanks for sharing! They're all lovely collections.

http://daphyin-makeupisart.blogspot.com

Dearest Lou said...

I absolutely love Rag & Bone so inspiring!

dearest-lou.blogspot.com

james said...

reem acra can never do no wrong <3
happy valentines day!!
xo jamie

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous reviews, I loved looking through the stunning photographs. I love fashion shows! <3

xoxo,
Fatima
voguishdesires.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Nice, straightforward and simple review. I wish you would do one for each designer--you break it down so well. thank you

Nicole said...

So, you have literally blogged about all my favourite collections at NYFW so far. Done to the last one!
You are awesome :)
xxx

Cinnamon and White Chocolate said...

First I thought : OMG theese Jason Woo dresses are fantastic, than OMG theese Zac Posen stuff is wow, than...OK, you really showed us great, great collections, I can't pick just one designer...:)

Fictitious Fashion said...

What a lovely post S!! I like the first two :)
re: Thanks fr ur sweet comment dear.. Happppyyy Valentine's day to u tooooo :)
I hope u had a great one.. inbox me wat u did..ok? :)

Daniella said...

HI honey,Great post my dear! So many amazing collections. I love the the silhouettes and tailoring of Jason Wu and i always think Rag and Bone nails it when it comes Fall/Winter styling!! Its defiantly a more realistic collection. :)

Take care,Daniella xox

Ana Carneiro said...

Since I'm european I don't always keep track of american designers and New York Fashion week, which might be the reason for my surprise at seeing such structured dresses! It might not be a very nice thing to say, or maybe a sign of my ignorance, but these are very european collections! And I also liked the Reem Acra and khan collections a lot!

http://myveryownoneyearproject.blogspot.com/

Teresa said...

i love Jason Wu collection!! thank you for these news, i haven't got time to watch any of the shows :( or even blog.. so stressed with college, work and Valentine's Day haha

xx
teresa
www.trend-ish.com

Jelena Zivanovic said...

My dear Sam u checked my selections, and u already know I'm loving all those collections. Zac's might be my favorite for now! I think NY fashion week this year rocks!!! So many marvelous collections and pieces!! LOVING your picks and post!!!!!!
kisses

Jelena
glamfabchameleon.blogspot.com

Katrine - make it and fake it said...

Adore zac posen!!!! what a grrreat line!!!!


love K

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings said...

Wouldn't it be amazing to be at Fashion Week?? Loving the Reem Acra collection!

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

Rowena @ rolala loves said...

These are all amazing! I was totally ogling the Jason Wu collection!

Judith said...

Great dresses! Love the dresses of Reem Acra and Monique Lhuillier :) x

A Very Sweet Blog said...

Reem Acra!!! Gorgeous!
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Oh to Be a Muse said...

honestly, they killed it this year. it's so hard to pick a favorite because i really like all of these, especially jason wu and rag & bone!

Mandy@OrangeAutumn said...

I love how you're so in touch with all of the fashion happenings!!! Very pretty shows. Love all of the different looks.

Punctuation Mark said...

I'm loving all of these collections!!!

Joanne Reinhardt said...

Thank you so much for posting this! All these collections are gorgeous!

xo, H
http://givemeglamourplease.blogspot.com

Helen said...

My favourites were Jason Wu and Prabal Gurung! Both so pretty and elegant! I loved the oriental touches in Jason Wu's collection, so beautiful. Great post :) xoxox

Elle Sees said...

Love the shows all in one place like this

Unknown said...

Just stunning!!


<3 Marina
Fashion.MakeUp.LifeStyle

LaTasha Bunting said...

Great post hun! My favorites are Jason Wu and Reem Acra! I like their selections! You always have the coolest collection of styles! By the way, thank you so much for your comment beautiful! I did have a lovely V-Day! Thanks! I'm so glad that you agree with what I wrote gorgeous, I really appreciate that! :) I'm glad that you like the "I Believe" Poem as well! Your comment means a lot to me, you are so kind! I appreciate that! :)
LB
x0x0x0x

Ember Drake said...

Oooo they're all stunning but I especially love Jason Wu and Monique Lhuillier!

Em
x

http://emberdrake.blogspot.com

hope in high heels said...

Great summary. I could have looked at Naeem Khan and Jason Wu forever! Monique Lhuillier was also totally gorgeous.

ps. you're right... it's so hard to leave every time, but at least in doing so I get to live somewhere as fabulous as NY.

Anonymous said...

so cool !!superb blog layout!